Hale Pawa'a Professional Building
Jay M. Marumoto M.D.
Sports Medicine, Advanced Arthroscopy, and Joint Replacement
Jay Marumoto, M.D. is the senior orthopedic surgeon for University of Hawaii Athletics as Team Physician for Football and Basketball, including the 2007 Sugar Bowl team under coach June Jones, and the 2016 Men's Basketball NCAA Tournament team under coach Eran Ganot.
He is board certified in orthopedic surgery and specialty-trained in advanced arthroscopic surgery & sports medicine. Dr. Marumoto completed this specialty training at the Southern California Orthopedic Institute, regarded as the premier center in the United States for innovative techniques in arthroscopic surgery. Dr. Marumoto also completed specialty training in reconstructive fracture surgery in Switzerland at the AO Institute’s Davos Hospital.
As teaching faculty for UH Med School, Dr. Marumoto has published medical research and lectures nationally on advanced reconstructive surgery and sports injuries. He has taught most of Honolulu's orthopedic surgeons at Queen's, Straub, Kapiolani, Pali Momi.
Dr. Marumoto continues to be a community leader having served as Queen's Medical Center's Chief of Orthopedic Surgery, President of the Hawaii Orthopedic Association, and Hawaii's delegate to the American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine.
Born and raised in Honolulu, Dr. Marumoto is proud of his local roots. His strong sense of community was instilled in him by his grandfather, former Supreme Court Justice Masaji Marumoto, and his mother, retired State Representative Barbara Marumoto.
- American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- Arthroscopic Surgery & Sports Medicine | Southern California Orthopedic Institute
- Reconstructive-Fracture Surgery | AO Institute | Davos, Switzerland
- Orthopedic Surgery | University of Hawaii
- Medical School | University of Hawaii
- Assistant Clinical Professor – Orthopedic Surgery, University of Hawaii
- Team Physician - University of Hawaii Football and Athletic Department
- American College of Sports Medicine
- American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Hawaii Orthopedic Association (President 2001)
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons